Wednesday 17 August 2011

A moving experience: visiting a prison in Rwanda

Kathleen Dhillon, a member of Falls Church Group, Virginia, USA, has been kind enough to share her experience of visiting a prison in Rwanda with Pastor Deo a few weeks ago.

During my first and recent visit to Rwanda, our team was given the privilege of visiting one of the prisons outside of Kigali. I volunteer, teaching basic computer skills, at a halfway house in Virginia for women re-entering society after serving time in prison, so the opportunity to visit a prison in Rwanda was very special to me. 
When we first arrived, I heard a lot of noise and realized it was singing. When I asked Pastor Deo about it, he smiled and said that the prisoners knew we were coming and were preparing for our visit by singing and worshipping God. I realized at that moment that it was going to be a special experience, as God had told me in my heart that it would be. We were warmly greeted and welcomed by the Director of the prison and several members of prison staff. I love the way that relationships rather than tasks are important to the people in Rwanda. 
As we took the few steps from the prison office to the compound doors, music continue to filter over the wall to greet us. As the door opened, I thought I might be scared, but I wasn’t. There were prisoners right there to meet us as the doors opened. They walked with us as we made our way over to an open area where everyone was gathered. I have never been to visit an American prison so I had nothing to compare this visit to nor did I know how to be prepared; but as we walked through the crowd, I felt the presence of God with these men and women. We were ushered up to a small stone stage where we were seated. Gathered in front of us were thousands of men and women from the prison. These men and women greeted us with song, traditional dance, praise and prayers which were amazing and beautiful. They were from the heart, genuine and touched every part of my heart.
I was particularly honoured that Pastor Deo asked me to speak. In my heart I wanted to reach out to each of these individuals with a message of Got but as I sat there I realized I am a woman who isn’t much of a talker and who certainly doesn't speak to crowds! I was scared - not of the people, but of my own fear - what do I say and what could I possibly offer? I tried to take in everything that I was seeing, hearing and feeling. I didn't see men and women who had committed crimes. What I saw in the eyes of these individuals was that they are just people - people not unlike myself or any of us:  some with sadness, but most with eyes of hope and love. I heard hearts that were singing out in praise of God even in these difficult circumstances. As I stood, I realized that my words were inadequate but that they came from the heart. God knows that these men and women live behind these walls and has not forgotten them. He loves them so much and I love them as well.
I have known Pastor Deo for some time but have never had the privilege of seeing him preach. What an honour to see how much he loves God; how he shows these men and women his love and how he reaches out to them with the powerful message of the Gospel. God is good! 
I will forever remember and be touched by my visit to the prison. In my future trips, I hope I will again have the honour of worshipping with these men and women.
Thanks Kathleen for your beautiful words. We certainly hope that you will return to Rwanda soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment